Author, Educator, Speaker & Reverse Mortgage Specialist
NMLS #508494 AZ LICENSE LO-0919086, CA: CA-DBO-508494
Today, on average in the U.S., there is a divorce filed every 13 seconds, over 2.4 million per year. The largest demographic of divorces today is the “gray” divorce: those 50+ years old. This market is growing. In 2009, there were 600,000 gray divorces per year in the U.S. By 2030, this number is expected to grow to 800,000 per year.
In 2018, I became a Certified Divorce Lending Professional (CDLP). I am not an advocate of divorce. However, as a Reverse Mortgage Specialist, I saw this demographic of divorcing people and realized they need a specialist in not only reverse mortgages but also how a reverse mortgage may be best utilized in a divorce situation.
A professional divorce team may have a wide range of team players including an attorney, financial advisor, accountant, appraiser and yes, a divorce-lending professional. Every team member has a significant role in ensuring the divorcing client gets the best advice both for his or her divorce but also is set to succeed post-decree.
As a CDLP, I bring the financial knowledge and expertise of a solid understanding of the connection between Divorce and Family Law, IRS Tax Rules, and mortgage financing strategies as they all relate to real estate and divorce. Having me on your team as a CDLP provides the benefits of:
- A Reverse Mortgage Specialist, educated in how to best utilize and structure reverse mortgages.
- Also being a Certified Mortgage Planning Specialist (CMPS). I approach all mortgage transactions from a planning perspective versus a “mortgage as a commodity” mindset.
- Recognizing potential legal and tax implications with regards to mortgage financing in divorce situations
- A skilled professional in mortgage guidelines as they pertain to divorcing clients
- Being able to identify potential concerns and opportunities with support/maintenance structures that may conflict with mortgage financing opportunities
- Being able to identify potential concerns and opportunities with retirement planning in conjunction with mortgage financing
- Providing opportunities in restructuring a real estate portfolio to increase available cash flow
- Commitment to remaining educated and up to date in the ever changing mortgage guidelines and tax rules as they pertain to divorce situations
- A commitment to providing the highest level of service and communication to clients and collaborating divorce team members.
As a Reverse Mortgage Specialist, CMPS, and CDLP, I bring the unique expertise and context of a mortgage planner that knows and understands divorce issues while being able to structure a reverse mortgage as a financial planning tool inside of a divorce.
“My husband and I were very pleased with Jim as our agent to procure a reverse mortgage. He handled the many issues that arose with a calm and cheerful demeanor and always responded to our concerns. His sense of humor and ready smile made it all ever so much easier.”
-Danny and Nancy